Private Dancer by Stephen Leather

Bachelors Guide To Thailand
bender
Site Admin

Private Dancer by Stephen Leather

Unread post by bender »

This book is sensational on different levels and I can recommend it.

Firstly it totally works as a ripper standalone yarn, you will howl with laughter at some of the stuff in it.

Secondly if you have any connection with Thailand bar girls whatsoever, it's something like tertiary education for Thailand sex tourists.

However at the end of the day it's a novel, a collection of anecdotes from the no mans land between fact, fiction and rumour. Includes plenty of nonsense for example, every other customer at the girly bar is a "fat German tourist" talk about self flattery. Take Leather's semi biographical/bullshit with a grain of salt and you will still learn a lot from this colourful account.

The Pattaya Mail sums it up best; "The best book regarding relationships with bargirls that you can ever read. Compulsory reading for all first timers to Thailand".

My Executive Summary would be; Marrying a bargirl often ends in disaster. Not just broken hearts but major financial losses too.

http://www.amazon.com/Private-Dancer-St ... VYE7VX6WVY
Attachments
private.jpg
private.jpg (36.46 KiB) Viewed 14349 times
Bracket

Re: Private Dancer by Stephen Leather

Unread post by Bracket »

I agree, Private Dancer is an entertaining read with an unexpected-twist ending, and is written from simultaneous multi-character perspectives, which makes it different from the great majority of books that I read. It so vividly conveys the loathing of Western culture that lurks behind the Thais' smiles, that I suspect Stephen Leather has a dislike of Thai culture that is borne from long personal experience.

I came across the book by accident, being a fan of Stephen Leather's thrillers and finding it on his website as a free download, along with several other unpublished books, some years ago. I tried to upload it here for others to enjoy for free, which is specifically allowed according to the copyright info on the last page (see extract below), but unfortunately HL doesn't permit pdf uploads – sorry!

I’m quite happy for you to download, copy and distribute this electronic version of Private Dancer,
but all copies must be distributed unaltered and complete. You must not add or delete anything, or
modify the content in any way. (It’s just fine as it is, thanks.)

You are licensed to copy and distribute this electronic version of Private Dancer, but you must not
benefit commercially from the distribution. (I don’t make any money from Private Dancer, so I
don’t see why anyone else should.)
bender
Site Admin

Unread post by bender »

Just give us the link
Bracket

Unread post by Bracket »

Unfortunately it's not that simple.

Now that Private Dancer has been published it's no longer available for free from Stephen Leather's website and there is no "free" link. It used to be at http://stephenleather.com/index.php?page=ebooks where you'll still see it as a download from various publishers, but for which you now have to pay, although not very much for the e-book version. He still has some other free e-books at http://stephenleatherauthor.com/ .

So what I've done is send the 1MB pdf version, which is completely free and legal to distribute, to you at hookerlooker1@live.com . You can then upload or post it wherever for forum users to download. I hope this works!
bender
Site Admin

Unread post by bender »

Get in touch with Bracket re the free legal electronic version.